Disposable Surgical Mask by Providence
Face Mask for the Clinical Setting General information only.
Providence used these guidelines, with other information and our own experience, to create face masks for our own internal use. You should conduct your own reviews and consider quality and other issues before creating masks or other products of your own.
“Health for a Better World.”
1 Face Mask Materials & Tools Materials:
• Fabric – Surgical Wrap 1.One mask piece
• 14 ½ inches x 7 ½ inches
2.Four strap pieces
• Approximately 15 inches x ¾ inches each
• Sewing Machine
• White Thread
• Pins 2
Face Mask Instructions
1. Fold Face Mask fabric piece in half, using center punch as your guide.
2. Align edges so that the punch holes match on each side.
3. Stitch ¼ inch seam on non-folded and non-punched edge.
4. Turn mask piece inside out so that the seam is inside, and hand press seam to flatten.
5. Place seamed edge on bottom, toward you.
6. Create pleats or folds:
- Placing your thumb and index finger on the top fabric surface, and on either side of punch #1, gather fabric to create pleat and hand crease across.
While continuing to hold the fabric together, fold this layer on the line of punch #2, and then place the edge on the line of punch #3. This will result in a pleat at the top of the mask of approximately 1 1/2 inches from top to bottom.
Hand press flat to ensure straight and pin in place.
Repeat steps 1-3 for second pleat (punch hole 4-6).
Mask should now have two uniform pleats. Along the short side, stitch pleats in place using a ¼ inch seam, remove pins.
7. Create Straps:
Take one strap piece and align top edge of strap with lower pleat edge (punch #6) .
Wrap strap piece front to back to cover mask raw edge (pleated side).
Stitch in place, lengthwise.
Place second strap piece to cover the first strap piece overlapping by ½ inch, and in the opposite direction.
Wrap strap piece front to back to cover mask raw edge.
Stitch in place.
Repeat Steps 1-6 for second strap and side of Face Mask.
8. Trim all threads.
Congratulations - You did it!