Face Mask by Joann's
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Cotton Fabric – at least 12”X9”
- Lightweight Fusible Interfacing 12” X9”
- 1/4” Elastic
- Basic Sewing Supplies
Joann's store in Hudson is donating fabric and elastics for free for people to sew masks.
- Download the pattern by clicking “download PDF” below Print Description on the right.
- Cut 1 pattern piece, on the fold, out of the cotton fabric and lightweight interfacing
- Apply fusible interfacing to wrong side of cotton fabric using an iron.
- Fold fabric right sides together, matching 9-inch sides.
- Sew along the 9 inch side, using 1/4” seam allowance and leaving a space 3” wide in the center to turn mask right side out.
- Cut 2 pieces of elastic 7 inches long. Insert into the corners of the two open ends of the mask and pin into place. Sew across sides, backstitching well over the elastic, to secure the elastic in place.
- Turn mask right side out and press seams flat.
- Using pattern as a guide, fold up 3 pleats on each side, making sure the pleats are folded in the same direction. Pin into place.
- Top stitch around the entire mask, securing the pleats and closing the opening.
- Substitute elastic with 4- 16” Fabric Ties at each corner.
- Any light-medium weight, non-woven interfacing is appropriate for this project.