Face Mask by Deaconess Hospital (IN)
According to the CDC, fabric masks are a crisis response option when other supplies have been exhausted.
“Prior to modern disposable masks, washable fabric masks were standard use for hospitals,” said Dawn Rogers, MSN, RN, FNP-C, Patient Safety & Infection Prevention Office. “We will be able to sterilize these masks and use them repeatedly as needed. While it’s less than ideal, we want to do our best to protect our staff and patients during this pandemic.”
Details about making/delivering fabric masks to Deaconess Hospital:
- The pattern is courtesy of The Turban Project*
- Use tightly-woven cotton fabric on both sides.
- When your masks are complete, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for delivery.
- (You will be met in a facility parking lot at a pre-arranged time.)
- Collected masks will be immediately sent to laundry/processing to be prepared for use.
- Any surplus masks will be distributed to other organizations in need.
How to make a Face Mask What you will need
- Fabric Cotton 100%
- Rope Elastic, beading cord elastic will work (you may also us 1/8” flat elastic)
- Cut the elastic 7” long and tie a knot at each end (DO NOT knot the ends of the flat)
1. Put right sides of cotton fabric together. Cut 9x6 (Adult)
2. Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner, stop. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
3. Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
4. Now sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. Again put an elastic with the edge out.
5. Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
6. Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open. Stop, cut the thread. Turn inside out.
7. Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction
8. Sew around the edge of the mask twice. It is so easy to make this. Be sure any fabric design is placed horizontally